What happens when you invite an author to visit, speak to, and work with your students?
- students start reading, or read more
- they realise that they are story tellers with valuable stories to tell
- they begin to appreciate the value and power of words, both for themselves and their community
- they are empowered to tell stories in what ever way they are equipped to do so
- students who struggle to read or find little interest in books often come away encouraged to give it a go
- students see that the arts are a viable and recognised career option
- they understand and appreciate the process involved with creating books, writing stories and creating visual narrative
- they learn about the journey of story telling as individuals: where do stories come from, how do they begin, how can we tell them?